How do you remove an old Shimano cassette?
To remove the cassette, hold it from spinning using a chain whip. Insert the lockring tool (use the FR-5 series), and turn the tool counter-clockwise. The locking ring will unthread from the freehub and the cassette will lift upward. To install the cassette, lubricate the threads inside the cassette stack.
Do you need a chain whip to remove cassette?
Tools for Changing a Bike Cassette In order to remove and replace your cassette, you need to unscrew this lockring. You’ll need three tools to do this: a chain whip, a cassette lockring remover and a large adjustable crescent wrench.
How do you remove an old style freewheel?
- Mount bike in repair stand and remove rear wheel from bike.
- Remove quick-release skewer.
- Inspect freewheel center and select correct removal tool (see chart above).
- Engage tool into splines/notches.
- Reinstall quick-release skewer with skewer nut on outside of remover.
- Snug skewer nut against remover.
What type of cassette do I have?
To determine if a sprocket is a freewheel or cassette system, remove the rear wheel from the bike. Find the tool fitting on the sprocket set. Spin the sprockets backwards. If the fittings spin with the cogs, it is a cassette system with a freehub.