What tools do I need to remove a bike crank?
- Appropriate wrench to remove crank bolt/nut: CCW-5 Crank Wrench. Hex wrench. MW-SET. 2 Combination Wrenches. PAW-12 Adjustable Wrench.
- Crank puller: CCP-22 for square taper cranks. CCP-44 for splined cranks. CWP-7 – universal fit.
- Torque wrench.
- Thread preparation: ASC-1. PPL-1.
How do you remove a self extracting crankshaft?
- Leave the retaining ring of the self-extracting systems in place in the arm. Do not remove the retaining ring.
- Begin unthreading crank bolt using hex wrench. Continue loosening until crank arm slides off spindle.
- Remove remaining crank arm.
What can I use instead of a crank puller?
You can also pry the threads out or remove them by slowly threading the bolt, depending on the crank arm type of your bicycle. Use a bolt or a spanner tool to remove and loosen the washers.
Do you need a crank removal tool?
However, these crank retaining rings are threaded over the crank bolt, so that when the crank bolt is loosened the shoulder of the bolt presses back against the ring, which in turn slowly pushes the arm from the spindle. No additional crank removal tools are required.