How do you remove a bicycle hub?
The axle is independent of the freehub.
- Remove set screw from side of drive side locknut.
- Hold non-drive side cone with cone wrench. Loosen and remove drive side locknut.
- Pull freehub to remove. Use care not to loose small parts. Note orientation of pawls as you remove freehub.
How often should I service my bike hub?
Frequent drivetrain cleanings will help improve performance and increase the lifespan of your components. Plan on getting the bike overhauled every 3-5000 miles or so. Grease breaks down and bearings systems need attention. Recommended maintenance for this bike: annual Deluxe Tune-up; overhaul every 3-5000 miles.
How do you remove an old style freewheel?
- Mount bike in repair stand and remove rear wheel from bike.
- Remove quick-release skewer.
- Inspect freewheel center and select correct removal tool (see chart above).
- Engage tool into splines/notches.
- Reinstall quick-release skewer with skewer nut on outside of remover.
- Snug skewer nut against remover.
How do I change my bike hub?
Hub Adjustment – Cartridge Bearing Hubs
- Mount bike in repair stand.
- Remove rear wheel from bike. If adjusting front wheel, remove front wheel as well.
- Remove quick-release skewer and springs. Remove any rubber boot covering left side cones and locknuts.
- Insert skewer through cog side of hub.