- 1 Should you remove factory grease from chain?
- 2 Should I clean and lube a new bike chain?
- 3 Should you leave the factory oil on a brand new KMC chain?
- 4 How do you get factory grease off a bike chain?
- 5 What household items can I use to clean my bike chain?
- 6 How often should I lubricate my bike chain?
- 7 Should I clean my bike chain after every ride?
- 8 What kind of lube should I use on my bike chain?
- 9 What is the best bicycle chain lubricant?
- 10 Why is my bike chain sticky?
- 11 Can I use wd40 on bike chain?
- 12 Can I use any degreaser on my bike chain?
- 13 What is the best degreaser for bikes?
Should you remove factory grease from chain?
Scaredypants recommends you to take away the excess grease from the chain’s outside by spraying some (eco) cleaner onto a rag, and immediately wiping the chain. By removing the grease outside you will prevent it from attracting too much dirt.
Should I clean and lube a new bike chain?
The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
Should you leave the factory oil on a brand new KMC chain?
11 Answers. The coating is generally a form of wax, which is an excellent chain lube, and less apt to attract dirt than most chain oils. All you really should do is wipe off (with a dry cloth) any excess.
How do you get factory grease off a bike chain?
Try shaking it in acetone or benzine at a well ventilated, spark free place. That will remove everything from the chain. You could also try boiling it on a camping cooker outside. Beware, there are quite a few anecdotal reports out there of chains becoming more brittle and breaking after a long soak in Simple Green.
What household items can I use to clean my bike chain?
2. How to Clean a Bike Chain with Household Products
- Remove the chain from the bike.
- Put bike degreaser into a clean plastic container.
- Leave the chain soaking for at least 20 minutes.
- If your degreaser comes in a spray bottle you can spray it directly onto the chain and leave it to settle for some time.
How often should I lubricate my bike chain?
Bicycle Tutor recommends cleaning and lubricating your bike’s drive chain at least once every month to maintain optimal performance and protection. The chain and drivetrain are typically the dirtiest parts of your bike, and this dirt is bad news for bike longevity and performance.
Should I clean my bike chain after every ride?
Chain Lube – Part & Parcel Of Cycling A clean chain is as critical as a properly lubricated one. Ideally, chains should be thoroughly cleaned after each and every ride. The cleaning process ranges from a simple wipe with a clean rag right through to a full degrease.
What kind of lube should I use on my bike chain?
Use a light, waterproof lube such as Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubricant. For wet-weather conditions, try Pedro’s Chainj. Never Use: Motor oil—it contains acids and particles of metal that can compromise a chain’s strength and cause it to wear more quickly.
What is the best bicycle chain lubricant?
Best bike chain lubes – our picks
- Smoove Lube. The Energizer Bunny of chain lube.
- Rock N Roll Gold. Workhorse all-rounder chain lube.
- Silca Super Secret Chain Lube. It’s like hot wax but in an easy to apply drip bottle.
- Green Oil Wet Lube.
- Finish Line Wet.
- CeramicSpeed UFO Ceramic lube.
- Tru Tension All Weather.
- Molten Speedwax.
Why is my bike chain sticky?
The sticky grease on new chains is to prevent corrosion during shipping and storage. It’s not a particularly good lubricant and attracts lots of dirt. Get it off and replace it with your normal lube.
Can I use wd40 on bike chain?
All you need to do is rinse the bike chain to remove any mud and thick dirt. Spray the WD-40 Bike Degreaser onto the surface of your bike chain and give it adequate time to work. On top of that, the WD-40 Bike Degreaser can be used for the cleaning and degreasing of other moving parts as well.
Can I use any degreaser on my bike chain?
While you can use automotive or bicycle specific degreaser, kerosene is a good low cost (but smelly) alternative. Citrus and automotive degreasers really strip your chain and can leave it very dry. They will also repel chain lube if some degreaser residue remains on the drivechain.
What is the best degreaser for bikes?
Best Bike Chain Degreaser: Clean Your Two-Wheeled Friend
- Finish Line Citrus Degreaser Bicycle Degreaser.
- Muc Off Bio Drivetrain Bicycle Chain Cleaner and Degreaser.
- Muc-Off MOX-904 Nano Tech Bike Cleaner.
- Finish Line 1-Step Bicycle Chain Cleaner & Lubricant.
- WD-40 Specialist Bike Degreaser.