- 1 How tight should my motorized bicycle chain be?
- 2 What causes a bike chain to stretch?
- 3 How do you reduce chain stretch?
- 4 Can you stretch a bicycle chain?
- 5 How can I tell if my bike chain is stretched?
- 6 How often should I lube my bike chain?
- 7 How do I know if my roller chain is worn?
- 8 How do you fix a stretched necklace chain?
How tight should my motorized bicycle chain be?
Leave a 1/4 inch of slack in the chain. Right wheelbender, AND, if yer runnin with the rag mount then you’ll have to leave it a little looser still.
What causes a bike chain to stretch?
Chain wear is commonly referred to as ‘chain stretch’, because the chain’s pitch grows in length as it wears. This is the most important type of chain wear, and the growth comes from the bushings wearing with the chain pins. Overtime, the inner diameter of these bushings increase and the pins groove out.
How do you reduce chain stretch?
The most important factor in preventing chain stretch is lubrication. If roller chains are poorly lubricated, stretching will take place very quickly. When a chain has elongated 3% of its original length, it must be replaced.
Can you stretch a bicycle chain?
Do bicycle chains really stretch? The short answer is no, however they do wear in such a way as to cause their maximum length to increase. Mechanics usually refer to this as chain “stretch.” It is the sign of a worn out chain that should be replaced.
How can I tell if my bike chain is stretched?
Another ballpark method for checking chain wear is by measuring it with a ruler. Pick a rivet and line it up at the zero mark. Count 24 more rivets and your last rivet should be at the 12″ mark of your ruler. If it is off by more than 1/16″ your chain is stretched to the point of replacement.
How often should I lube my bike chain?
Bicycle Tutor recommends cleaning and lubricating your bike’s drive chain at least once every month to maintain optimal performance and protection. The chain and drivetrain are typically the dirtiest parts of your bike, and this dirt is bad news for bike longevity and performance.
How do I know if my roller chain is worn?
How To Measure Chain Stretch
- Identify chain pitch size.
- Locate the corresponding step on the gauge.
- Check gauge for fit between any two roller links. (Do this with chain in tension.)
- If the gauge step fits through the checkpoint, the chain is worn out and needs to be replaced.
How do you fix a stretched necklace chain?
Stretched chain links can be replaced, or the jeweler can shorten the necklace if it isn’t noticeable. This will take specialized tools, and usually a soldering torch for securing the jump rings.