What tools do I need to remove a bike crank?
- Appropriate wrench to remove crank bolt/nut: CCW-5 Crank Wrench. Hex wrench. MW-SET. 2 Combination Wrenches. PAW-12 Adjustable Wrench.
- Crank puller: CCP-22 for square taper cranks. CCP-44 for splined cranks. CWP-7 – universal fit.
- Torque wrench.
- Thread preparation: ASC-1. PPL-1.
How do you remove a Shimano crank without a tool?
Simply place the crank extractor inside the crank bolt hole, rotating it clockwise until tight, before turning it counterclockwise so that the crank comes off. Remove the crank from the other side of the bike in the same manner and, voila, you’ll have officially removed your crankset just like that.
What can I use instead of a crank puller?
You can also pry the threads out or remove them by slowly threading the bolt, depending on the crank arm type of your bicycle. Use a bolt or a spanner tool to remove and loosen the washers.
How do you remove a self extracting crankshaft?
- Leave the retaining ring of the self-extracting systems in place in the arm. Do not remove the retaining ring.
- Begin unthreading crank bolt using hex wrench. Continue loosening until crank arm slides off spindle.
- Remove remaining crank arm.
How do you remove a Hollowgram crank?
Removing Hollowgram arms of all generations (as of model year 2017) are removed with the KT013 crank puller.
- Remove the crank bolt with a 10mm hex wrench.
- Thread the smaller inner piece into the bottom bracket spindle threads using an 8mm hex wrench.
- Thread the outer piece into the crankarm threads until it is tight.
Do you need a crank removal tool?
However, these crank retaining rings are threaded over the crank bolt, so that when the crank bolt is loosened the shoulder of the bolt presses back against the ring, which in turn slowly pushes the arm from the spindle. No additional crank removal tools are required.
Why are 3 piece cranks better?
Three-piece cranks are generally lighter, stronger, and have the widest assortment of pedal types (9/16″) and bottom bracket applications available to them. In the case you DO damage a crank arm, replacements are often available without purchasing a whole new crankset.