How do I take the pedal crank off my bike?
Use a 15mm wrench to loosen the left pedal from the bike. Then, hold the left pedal and rotate the crank arm to completely detach it from the bike. Both pedals should now be completely removed. If you’re standing on the right, or drive side, of the bike, rotate the crank arm clockwise.
How do I remove a freehub body?
The axle is independent of the freehub.
- Remove set screw from side of drive side locknut.
- Hold non-drive side cone with cone wrench. Loosen and remove drive side locknut.
- Pull freehub to remove. Use care not to loose small parts. Note orientation of pawls as you remove freehub.
Can you remove a sprocket?
You’ll need two chain whips to loosen the sprocket. One to keep the cassette in place while you unscrew the sprocket with the other. I used a chain whip from Decathlon to loosen the sprocket.
How do you loosen cogs?
To remove the cassette, hold it from spinning using a chain whip. Insert the lockring tool (use the FR-5 series), and turn the tool counter-clockwise. The locking ring will unthread from the freehub and the cassette will lift upward. To install the cassette, lubricate the threads inside the cassette stack.
How do you take apart a freewheel?
- Mount bike in repair stand and remove rear wheel from bike.
- Remove quick-release skewer.
- Inspect freewheel center and select correct removal tool (see chart above).
- Engage tool into splines/notches.
- Reinstall quick-release skewer with skewer nut on outside of remover.
- Snug skewer nut against remover.