- 1 How much does it cost to buy a bike chain?
- 2 Can you buy a new bike chain?
- 3 Does it matter what bike chain I buy?
- 4 What is the best bike chain to buy?
- 5 How often should a bike chain be replaced?
- 6 How do I know my bike chain size?
- 7 How often should I lube my bike chain?
- 8 Are 6 7 8 speed chains the same?
- 9 How do I know if my bike is 10 or 11 speed?
- 10 What size bike chain do I need single speed?
- 11 Are expensive bike chains worth it?
How much does it cost to buy a bike chain?
A bike chain costs anywhere from $10 to $90 depending on the brand, quality, and type of bike you’re buying it for. Basic, cheaper bikes that need a simple chain will be closer to $10. Higher quality chains that are durable and made for top notch road bikes will cost $60 to $90.
Can you buy a new bike chain?
If you put a lot of miles on your bike, the parts will eventually wear out. After many miles, a bike chain will “stretch” and need to be replaced. Technically, the chain isn’t stretching, but rather the pins that join the links are wearing down, which causes the length of the chain to grow.
Does it matter what bike chain I buy?
The length and number of links doesn’t matter – as all chains are sold too long and you’ll need to remove some links to make it the correct length for your bike. The width is critical.
What is the best bike chain to buy?
Best Bike Chains
- KMC X8. 99 BICYCLE CHAIN. KMC X8.99 BICYCLE CHAIN.
- KMC Z50 BICYCLE CHAIN. No products found.
- SHIMANO ULTEGRA CN-6701 CHAIN. Sale.
- Shimano XT 10-Speed Chain CN-HG95. Sale.
- Zonkie 6/7/8 Speed Bike Chain. This bike chain is very easy to install.
How often should a bike chain be replaced?
To avoid this accelerated wear of your cassette and chainrings, a general rule of thumb is to replace your bike’s chain every 2,000 miles. 4
How do I know my bike chain size?
Begin by counting the number of teeth on the largest front sprocket and largest rear. These numbers are often printed right on the sprockets and cogs. Next, measure the distance between the middle of the crank bolt to the rear axle. This is also the chain stay length.
How often should I lube my bike chain?
Bicycle Tutor recommends cleaning and lubricating your bike’s drive chain at least once every month to maintain optimal performance and protection. The chain and drivetrain are typically the dirtiest parts of your bike, and this dirt is bad news for bike longevity and performance.
Are 6 7 8 speed chains the same?
5, 6, 7 and 8 speed chains Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo all use the same chain with 8 speeds. Chain for 7 speeds is a bit wider – 7.3 mm, while a 6 speed one is substantially wider – 7.8 mm.
How do I know if my bike is 10 or 11 speed?
Multiply the front gear number by the rear gear number to get the number of speeds. For example, if you have two front gears and five back gears, you have a 10-speed bike.
What size bike chain do I need single speed?
1/8″ chains are used exclusively for single speed setups. In addition to the other answers, I found it helpful to read that the nominal width of a chain (1/8 or 3/32) actually refers to the width of the sprocket.
Are expensive bike chains worth it?
No. The only advantage of expensive chains within a specific brand is the minor reduction in weight. The ones with extra plating do look nicer and provide some corrosion resistance, but it takes almost no effort to keep your chain rust free.