- 1 What tools do I need to remove a bike crank?
- 2 What can I use instead of a crank puller?
- 3 How do you remove a self extracting crankshaft?
- 4 How do you remove a Hollowgram crank?
- 5 Do you need a crank removal tool?
- 6 How do you remove a Shimano crank without a tool?
- 7 Are crank pullers universal?
- 8 How do you remove a racing turbine crank?
- 9 How do you remove a crank pulley without a puller?
What tools do I need to remove a bike crank?
- Appropriate wrench to remove crank bolt/nut: CCW-5 Crank Wrench. Hex wrench. MW-SET. 2 Combination Wrenches. PAW-12 Adjustable Wrench.
- Crank puller: CCP-22 for square taper cranks. CCP-44 for splined cranks. CWP-7 – universal fit.
- Torque wrench.
- Thread preparation: ASC-1. PPL-1.
What can I use instead of a crank puller?
You can also pry the threads out or remove them by slowly threading the bolt, depending on the crank arm type of your bicycle. Use a bolt or a spanner tool to remove and loosen the washers.
How do you remove a self extracting crankshaft?
- Leave the retaining ring of the self-extracting systems in place in the arm. Do not remove the retaining ring.
- Begin unthreading crank bolt using hex wrench. Continue loosening until crank arm slides off spindle.
- Remove remaining crank arm.
How do you remove a Hollowgram crank?
Removing Hollowgram arms of all generations (as of model year 2017) are removed with the KT013 crank puller.
- Remove the crank bolt with a 10mm hex wrench.
- Thread the smaller inner piece into the bottom bracket spindle threads using an 8mm hex wrench.
- Thread the outer piece into the crankarm threads until it is tight.
Do you need a crank removal tool?
However, these crank retaining rings are threaded over the crank bolt, so that when the crank bolt is loosened the shoulder of the bolt presses back against the ring, which in turn slowly pushes the arm from the spindle. No additional crank removal tools are required.
How do you remove a Shimano crank without a tool?
Simply place the crank extractor inside the crank bolt hole, rotating it clockwise until tight, before turning it counterclockwise so that the crank comes off. Remove the crank from the other side of the bike in the same manner and, voila, you’ll have officially removed your crankset just like that.
Are crank pullers universal?
The universal design of the CWP-7 has a rotating tip pressed into each end of the tool (11.3mm and 16.3mm) so it will remove both square taper and splined (ISIS Drive™, Octalink®) crank arms.
How do you remove a racing turbine crank?
To remove the arm, use a 8mm hex wrench on the crank bolt and turn counter-clockwise. One-key system will remove arm from the spindle. After removing the right arm, pull the left arm to remove. It may be necessary to use a mallet and tap spindle to free the arm.
How do you remove a crank pulley without a puller?
There is a way to do it. You put a wrench on the pulley bolt and block the other end against the floor or the frame. Then you use the starter motor to turn the engine (DO NOT START IT, JUST TURN IT) for at most one or two revolutions of the crank. Just enough to break the bolt loose.