What tools do I need to remove crankset?
Crank pullers are used for the removal of basic three-piece crank types: square-type spindle arms, and splined-type spindle arms. Appropriate wrench to remove crank bolt/nut:
- CCW-5 Crank Wrench.
- Hex wrench.
- MW-SET. 2 Combination Wrenches.
- PAW-12 Adjustable Wrench.
Almost anything can be taken apart without proper tools, including bottom brackets. it, but it can be done. The right tool for the job(any job) makes life much easier and will lower your frustration level by leaps and bounds. If it is a Square taper, isis or octalink then no.
When should I replace my bike crank?
- The threads for the pedal get stripped/damaged to the point the pedal gets undone easily.
- The mating hole for the bottom bracket fretts and is no longer a good fit.
- Cracked crank arm – if the mating hole wears, and is retightened enough times, the crank arm slides too far onto the bottom bracket.
Why does my crank arm keep coming loose?
If you’ve been repeatedly riding with a loose crank arm it could be that it’s now damaged. You could try tightening with lots of torque, grease on the square taper and threadlocker (e.g. blue Loctite, but in a pinch any kind of glue works) on the threads.