What tools do I need to remove a bike cassette?
The lockring is designed to hold the cogs of the cassette in place on the hub. In order to remove and replace your cassette, you need to unscrew this lockring. You’ll need three tools to do this: a chain whip, a cassette lockring remover and a large adjustable crescent wrench.
How do you remove a bicycle hub?
The axle is independent of the freehub.
- Remove set screw from side of drive side locknut.
- Hold non-drive side cone with cone wrench. Loosen and remove drive side locknut.
- Pull freehub to remove. Use care not to loose small parts. Note orientation of pawls as you remove freehub.
How do you replace a bicycle sprocket?
How to change a cassette
- Remove rear wheel and quick release. Shift into the smallest sprocket.
- Remove cassette. Wrap your chain whip around the sprockets, and insert the lockring tool.
- Clean freehub body.
- Attach new cassette.
- Attach lockring.
- Reattach quick release and fit wheel back onto bike.
How do you remove a sprocket?
Wrap the chain whip tool around the largest sprocket and secure it. The chain whip tool holds the cassette in place so that you can loosen the lockring. Place the sprocket removal tool around the lockring. Use a crescent wrench to turn the lockring counter-clockwise, so that you can loosen and remove it.