How do you remove a rear wheel sprocket?
Cassette Lockring Removal
- Mount bike in repair stand and remove rear wheel from bike.
- Remove quick-release skewer.
- Inspect cassette and select correct type of remover.
- Engage remover into splines/notches.
- Install quick-release skewer and install skewer nut on outside of remover.
- Snug skewer nut against remover.
How do I remove a freehub body?
The axle is independent of the freehub.
- Remove set screw from side of drive side locknut.
- Hold non-drive side cone with cone wrench. Loosen and remove drive side locknut.
- Pull freehub to remove. Use care not to loose small parts. Note orientation of pawls as you remove freehub.
What does adding a tooth to the rear sprocket do?
Adding teeth to the front and rear sprockets have opposite effects. Installing a larger countershaft sprocket creates higher gearing, while a larger rear sprocket lowers gearing. Similarly, a smaller front sprocket lowers the gearing while a smaller rear sprocket makes gearing higher.