How do you remove a bicycle hub?
The axle is independent of the freehub.
- Remove set screw from side of drive side locknut.
- Hold non-drive side cone with cone wrench. Loosen and remove drive side locknut.
- Pull freehub to remove. Use care not to loose small parts. Note orientation of pawls as you remove freehub.
Do you need a chain whip to remove cassette?
Tools for Changing a Bike Cassette In order to remove and replace your cassette, you need to unscrew this lockring. You’ll need three tools to do this: a chain whip, a cassette lockring remover and a large adjustable crescent wrench.
Is SRAM cassette tool same as Shimano?
Nope. SRAM and Shimano use the same lockring removal tool.
How often should I service my bike hub?
Frequent drivetrain cleanings will help improve performance and increase the lifespan of your components. Plan on getting the bike overhauled every 3-5000 miles or so. Grease breaks down and bearings systems need attention. Recommended maintenance for this bike: annual Deluxe Tune-up; overhaul every 3-5000 miles.
How do you tighten a hub on a bike?
- Use a cone wrench and hold cone from moving. Note position and angle of wrench.
- Use another wrench on locknut and loosen by turning counter-clockwise.
- Recall angle of cone wrench and tighten adjustment by turning cone clockwise 1/32nd of a turn. Imagine cone wrench extending to the rim.