How do I remove a single speed cog?
- Mount bike in repair stand and remove rear wheel from bike.
- Remove quick-release skewer.
- Inspect freewheel center and select correct removal tool (see chart above).
- Engage tool into splines/notches.
- Reinstall quick-release skewer with skewer nut on outside of remover.
- Snug skewer nut against remover.
What tools do I need to remove a bike cassette?
The lockring is designed to hold the cogs of the cassette in place on the hub. In order to remove and replace your cassette, you need to unscrew this lockring. You’ll need three tools to do this: a chain whip, a cassette lockring remover and a large adjustable crescent wrench.
How do you loosen cogs?
To remove the cassette, hold it from spinning using a chain whip. Insert the lockring tool (use the FR-5 series), and turn the tool counter-clockwise. The locking ring will unthread from the freehub and the cassette will lift upward. To install the cassette, lubricate the threads inside the cassette stack.