How do I remove an old mountain bike fork?
How to Remove a Bicycle Fork and Stem
- Remove the front wheel from the fork.
- Remove the brakes from your front fork.
- Loosen the four hex bolts that connect the handlebar to the stem.
- Loosen the hex bolt that secures the headset top cap.
- Loosen the two hex bolts that clamp the stem to the steering tube.
How do you remove the bottom of a fork headset?
It can usually be placed to get stuck with just hand force. Carefully hold the blade in place with one hand, then gently knock it in with a hammer. Make it go in just for about 1 mm, so it can easily be removed with hands. Rotate the fork by 1/8 of a circle (some 45 degrees), then repeat the process.