- 1 Why do you need a bike chain breaker?
- 2 Do I need a chain breaker tool?
- 3 How do you break a chain link without a tool?
- 4 What is a chain breaker used for?
- 5 What is the best chain breaker tool?
- 6 How does a chain removal tool work?
- 7 Is it OK to use wd40 on bike chain?
- 8 What can I use instead of a chain tool?
Why do you need a bike chain breaker?
The chain breaker mostly helps keep everything aligned properly, but you can do without it. I’ve used a hammer and improvised punch (nail), plus some vice grips without any problems to break and re-link a chain (some chains don’t come with master links).
Do I need a chain breaker tool?
If you break a chain on the road anywhere other than on the master link, you’ll need a chain tool to remove the other half of the broken link. Now, if you are saying that you are confident it’s not going to break, fair enough.
In order to shorten the link without a chain tool, you need an alternative tool like a hammer, pliers or thin nail. They will assist you in pushing the pin easily. You can position the chain over a socket, and hit it with a hammer. Then, you can now pass the bolt all throughout the open holes.
What is a chain breaker used for?
A good chain breaker (sometimes known as a chain splitter or simply a chain tool) is an essential part of any home mechanic’s toolkit, allowing you to split old chains, shorten new ones and join those that use a pin rather than a quick -link.
What is the best chain breaker tool?
- 15 chain breakers tested, all under US$50.
- Our pick: Birzman Damselfly Universal.
- Runner up: Unior Professional.
- Also consider: Shimano CN28, Park Tool CT-3.2, Pedro’s Apprentice.
- Best pocket-sized tool: Park Tool CT-5.
- Best for Campagnolo: BBB ProfiConnect.
- Best on a budget:PRO, X-Tools Rivet Extractor.
How does a chain removal tool work?
A chain tool is a small mechanical device used to “break” a bicycle chain in such a way that it can be mended with the same tool. A bicycle chain has links and plates that are pinned together; these pins can be pushed out with the chain tool.
Is it OK to use wd40 on bike chain?
All you need to do is rinse the bike chain to remove any mud and thick dirt. Spray the WD-40 Bike Degreaser onto the surface of your bike chain and give it adequate time to work. On top of that, the WD-40 Bike Degreaser can be used for the cleaning and degreasing of other moving parts as well.
What can I use instead of a chain tool?
Removing a Chain Link Without Chain Breaker Tool
- A Hammer.
- A thin nail, or something that can hit the chain pin without getting stuck on the chainplates. A 2mm hex wrench can be used as well.
- You will need something that can withstand a beating but has a hole in it for the pin to pass through.